Tal-Kotba (C013) is an Enrichment Programme Unit for students who are interested in books, writing, art, poetry, stories, story telling, novels and reading.
By the end of this unit, students should be able to:
- read a book for different purposes
- appreciate books in different forms
- discuss a book in public
- see the relation between books and other forms of art
- write something of their own.
21st century skills addressed in the unit:
- Cultural & Civic literacy
- Critical thinking
- Social & Cultural awareness
Duration and frequency of sessions
1 hour every week
Total duration of the EPU
Proposed day and time
This will be decided during the first meeting as it depends on the availability of the group.
Maximum marks possibly earned in this EPU: 5 marks
Students will be asked to read particular books, stories or poems provided beforehand. From session to session they will be asked to prepare themselves through reading, watching audiovisual material or writing something. During the sessions students are encouraged to participate so as to create a healthy discussion. At other times students will be asked to work in groups and to report on what happened. Students who are good at taking photos can also document the sessions through photography.
These sessions help the students with their critical thinking, be it in Maltese or English but also in other languages (in fact we also tap into translated books). Students will acquire knowledge and skills that in turn will help them with their criticism. Students will also be able to combine different subjects together and see, for instance, art and illustrations as part of a book, not just a picture.
- Student registration is on a first come first served basis.
- The sessions will be lead in Maltese and mainly we will tackle Maltese books. But we will also compare Maltese books to other books written in different languages.
No registration/participation fees are required.
Ms Leanne Ellul